The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Support for the Kitchen Bitch

.
Latest update 9pm, Wed 23rd Dec - see end of post

Philosopher, poet, storyteller, writer, blogger extraordinaire (The Kitchen Bitch Ponders), and one of my favourite people to photograph, Eryl, has been taken to hospital and is not in a good way.

I received an email from her husband, Steve, this morning; we spoke on the phone; then I went into visit Eryl in Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary this afternoon.

Apparently she had not been well for several weeks. First thought was flu, followed by the sense it was probably an infection. She was given various antibiotics, which did seem to make a difference, until she collapsed last Friday.

They initially thought that it was a intestinal thing but on having a CT scan they have found a "complex" mass on one of her ovaries. Further tests are being done, but whatever the outcome, she will have major abdominal surgery before the end of the week.

If whatever it is is benign, they will probably deal with it in Dumfries. If it's malignant, she'll be taken up to Glasgow or Edinburgh for surgery.

For those of you on Facebook, a page has been set up - Hugs for Eryl, at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=215410812417 where you can leave messages of support. Steve will then print them off and take them in with him each time he goes in to visit.

If you're not on Facebook, or want to send a message more directly, she's currenly in ward 6, and Steve's email is srshields // at // yahoo // .com

As and when I hear anything else, I'll update this post.

And if you know others who know Eryl, please let them know - Steve wants to create a large a support network around her.

UPDATE
Test have come back and show the complex mass is NOT cancerous - it's what they call benign.

Eryl will be given drugs to try and reduce the size of it, then will still have surgery to remove it. She is still very poorly.

However, as Steve said when we were on talking on the phone, "As bad outcomes go, this was the least bad we could have hoped for."

Please continue to leave your comments on the Facebook page, or to email  Steve with your messages. Steve is quite clear Eryl is feeling comforted by all your messages of support

UPDATED UPDATE

Just got this in from Eryl's husband (9pm, Wed 23rd),
Just to let you know Eryl had surgery today and it has gone extremely well. She is in recovery at the moment and will be moved to ward 4 of the Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary later this evening. I spoke to the surgeon and she said that it was a large abscess that was inflaming her ovary and leaking into her abdomen causing lots of infection and swelling but this has now been dealt with without the need to remove any bits of Eryl. This is a fantastic result and much better than we had hoped for even this afternoon.
She will still be very sore and on getting home she will still need 6 weeks to recover from her operation, but she is now on the road to recovery

.

32 comments

savannah said...

i sent the link to the coconut krewe on facebook. the MITM & i are keeping positive thoughts and sending them across the pond to eryl & stevie! xoxoxo

Charlie said...

I'm really sorry to hear this, Kim, because I know that you and Eryl have been friends for a long time. I'll send an email message through Steve right away.

Pat said...

Kim: I'm praying all will be well. I regard Eryl as a dear friend who I've been missing. Thank you so much for letting us know.

Rachel Fox said...

Horrible news. Will go send a message.
x

Maggie May said...

That's so hard. I will say a prayer.

hope said...

I'll make sure to send some loving support. Please keep us posted!

mapstew said...

Joined the gang on fb.
Love on the way.

Fay Campbell said...

I'm sending all good vibes to Eryl!

Stella said...

I don't know Eryl, but I am very sorry to hear this, sending positive thoughts.

Entrepreneur Chick said...

This is wonderful of you to do this, Kim.

She's one of the blogs I follow. Yes.

Thank you for saying something. Please keep us posted.

debra said...

thanks for posting this, Kim. I will wander on over to FB to send my thoughts. I was wondering where she has been.
d

Katie Roberts said...

I don't know Eryl, so it didn't feel right joining the group... but if you can add the energy of my love from afar to messages I would be pleased.
Support to you all.

The Hangar Queen said...

Done. Good man Kim.

erika said...

I'm so sorry about your friend, Kim. It is so very sad to spend the holidays at the hospital. I hope the surgery will go smoothly and Eryl will soon recover. I'm sending my love, prayers, good thoughts...
Hugs.

Joanne Casey said...

you're a good friend.

Ché l'écossais said...

Good man, Kim.

This just makes me more p*off I didn't get to the Auld Country in August. Ah well - mebbe anither time.

I'd say "if only everyone was like you, the world...etc", but I won't : it's too cliché and you deserve better.
(see what I did there?)

Health, happiness and "holy hampers from Harrods, Batman", no one deserves it better than you.

Titus said...

Thanks Kim. Will be sending stuff up to the hospital as I have a covert delivery system. Eryl is, quite simply, a star.

I've put a link to this post on my blog.

Jane Moxey said...

I started reading Eryl's blog and then she stopped writing. I send all good wishes across the pond for her.

Wigeon said...

Thanks for this too Kim. Eryl really is a special person. I've done what I can from the snow fields up here. All I can do now is to send good thoughts and best wishes. Next time you're able to get in do please give her a BIG hug from me. Thanks.

Falak said...

Really sorry to know about this. I don't know Eryl so if you can please pass on my best wishes and love.
praying for her.... get well soon Eryl!

Kim Ayres said...

Thanks for all your support. I've just heard tests are back and it's not cancerous, which is a huge relief.

Have added an update to the post

Stella said...

Phew, that's a relief..........

Titus said...

Thank God, and thanks for the update.

Hugh McMillan said...

love to her- I'm glad of the latest news. All best wishes from all of us here.

Wigeon said...

Many thanks for the update. That's a relief but as ever huge hugs to Eryl.

hope said...

What a relief that is! She's been on my mind all day.

I left good wishes with Titus but feel free to hand them over to her again with an extra big hug!

You're a good man Kim, for keeping us all in the loop.

DILLIGAF said...

popped along from Pat's blog.

No idea mate. What can you say when you don't even know someone?

The wifeys into religion and stuff. I'll get her to say a little prayer.

About all a heathen like me can do.

Good luck to her. Big time.

Katie Roberts said...

Yipppppeeee! Hope she is out of pain and hospital soon. Glad your friends OK Kim. :)

Ms Scarlet said...

Hello, I sent a mail yesterday. I'm so pleased to hear the positive news.
Sx

Kim Ayres said...

Thanks for all your support - do leave messages on the Facebook page, or email Steve

Stella said...

That's great news Kim : )

Katie Roberts said...

Really wonderful to hear Kim. :) Big Grin!

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.