The blog of photographer Kim Ayres

Huntigowk

"It's huntigowk today"

"Huntigowk?"

"Aye, huntigowk"

"What on earth is huntigowk?"

"You don't know what huntigowk is?"


I continue with my blank stare

"I can't believe we've been together for 24 years and you don't know what huntigowk is. It's April Fool's Day. When you catch someone out you shout 'huntigowk!' It's an old Scots' word."

"I think you're making it up. This is an April Fool's joke isn't it? You're waiting for me to believe you and they you're going to shout 'April Fool' at me."

"Pfft... go and look it up"


So I turned to my Scots Dictionary - bought for me by my wife many years ago precisely because of the number of times I accused her of making up words.

It wasn't in there!

However, before getting too smug, I thought I'd better check the Internet, and sure enough there are plenty of references. It appears I was wrong once again.

I wonder if there's a word for people who think they've outwitted an April Fool when none was being played on them?

While hunting the word in my Scots Dictionary, I did come across 'hochmagandy' though. I asked Maggie if she knew what that meant and she blushed.

You can look that one up yourself.


8 comments

Unknown said...

Oh my. Well it sounds like you are on full look out pranks. Good luck. Love these words. So much more colorful than April's Fools Day or illicit sex.

Anonymous said...

Chasing cuckoos...!

hope said...

Man, the things I learn from my friends across the pond. ;)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oooh, and I listened to the pronunciation too.

Adorable story, if you ask me :-) I like the fact that, no matter how long couples are together, there's still more to learn.

maurcheen said...

;-)

Kim Ayres said...

Carole - there is a real richness to the Scots language, although it does keep catching me out :)

Anon - not entirely sure what you mean

Hope - :)

Guyana-Gyal - even after 24 years together, she still surprises me :)

Maurcheen - :)

Pat said...

I wonder if Alastair knew? He never said.

Kim Ayres said...

Pat - it wouldn't surprise me if Alastair did, but didn't realise anyone else wouldn't. It never crosses my mind I might know words other people do not, unless English is not their native language :)

All content copyright of Kim Ayres. Powered by Blogger.